CONTENT OF SCHOOL VISITS FOR BOTH
THE UNITED STATES AND OVERSEAS
Kindergarten – Moon Festival
1st grade – 2nd grade – Moon Festival or First Apple
3rd grade – 4th grade – Tofu Quilt, First Apple or Water Ghost. It depends on the school’s preference.
5th grade – 6th grade – Tofu Quilt or Lichee Tree
7th grade – 8th grade – Tofu Quilt or Child Bride
For ESL class
The Journey of My Writing in English as My Second Language
1. Introduce myself (Show pictures of family and maps of China and Hong Kong)
2. My early writing journey from age 5 to 12
3. Writing journey from age 12 to adult
4. The inconveniences I experienced when I first came to the states
5. My journey to learn English
6. My discouragement regarding writing in English
7. My triumph
8. The main elements that made my dream come true
a, Set goals for myself b. Strong belief in myself c. Persistence
9. Answer questions from students
For Regular Classes
(I would like to concentrate on my latest work, Tofu Quilt. If the school prefers one of my earlier works, based on my childhood in China - First Apple, Water Ghost, Lichee Tree, Child Bride - please indicate so. I will use PowerPoint to illustrate my works. The sessions are flexible. I strongly suggest that teachers read the book I will discuss to the students before I come. This will greatly enhance the students’ experience of the author visit.
I will concentrate on the picture book, Moon Festival 1. Simply tell about myself (with map). 2. Explain the meaning of the Moon Festival. 3. Tell about the legend of the moon lady 4. Tell why I wrote Moon Festival.
5. Fun – Show artifacts (pictures of them for overseas presentations) that are mentioned in the book and let kids interact with the items.
6. Have a moon festival parade with students, like in the book. 7. Answer questions from students.
For 1st and 2nd graders
I will concentrate on the novel, First Apple. 1. Read a couple paragraphs. 2. Tell about myself and my family in China (with map and photos). 3. Discuss why I decided to be a writer. 4. Tell why I wrote First Apple.
5. Show a few artifacts that are mentioned in the book and let kids interact with them. Overseas just show photos or a few items.
6. About writing – Simple writing advice: my discipline when I work on my stories. 7. Answer questions from students.
For 3rd and 4th graders
1. About myself 2. The reason I wanted to be a writer 3. I was a freelance writer in Chinese 4. The reason I changed from writing in Chinese to writing in English 5. My discouragement regarding writing in English 6. My triumph after more than a decade of trying 7. The reason I wrote Tofu Quilt 8. Why I wrote Tofu Quilt in free verse 9. Revising 10. The Joy of Summer in China and Hong Kong 11. Fun activities
For 5th and 6th graders
I will concentrate on Tofu Quilt or Lichee Tree if the school prefers. 1. to 10., same as for third and fourth graders. 11. About writing – Where I get my inspiration. – How I write my stories. – How I polished Tofu Quilt.
For 7th and 8th graders
I will concentrate on Tofu Quilt or Child Bride if the school prefers. 1. to 10., same as for fifth and sixth graders. 11. About writing – Where I get my inspiration. – How I write my stories. – How I polished Tofu Quilt. – The words I used in Tofu Quilt and other works 12. Answer questions from students. For 9th grade and up, including adults (For adults, I would prefer a small group with a casual setting.) I will focus on my own experience of breaking into the American publishing industry and will answer questions regarding book publishing to the best of my knowledge.
I will autograph my books for students in both Chinese and English
BOOKING VISITS TO OVERSEAS SCHOOLS
1. Begin correspondence at least four months to half a year ahead for overseas schools to book the visit.
2. School will be responsible for all author’s travel expenses, room and board. Schools close to each other (within the same country or even geographical region, like Europe or Asia) that book at the same time can share the travel expenses.
3. The fee for three sessions per day, with no more than 100 students in a session, is US$750. Four sessions will be US$950. Each session will last a class period (45-50 minutes). The author cannot do two sessions in one school and two in another school on the same day.
5. Both parties sign an agreement immediately.
6. Please no audio or video recording. Pictures are permitted.
BOOKING VISITS IN THE UNITED STATES
1. Book at least two to three months in advance. Please suggest three different times for the author to choose from.
2. Excluding her home community, the school will be responsible for all travel expenses, room and board (if required to travel one hour or more). Several schools in the same town that book on successive days can share the travel expenses.
3. The fee is $750 for three sessions or $950 for four sessions (45-50 minutes each) in one day. No more than 100 students in one session. (One session can’t be divided into two separate presentations.) The author cannot do two sessions in one school and two in another school on the same day. If the school which initially invites her finds other schools nearby for another author’s visit, that school will get a $100 reduction of the total fee. The school librarian can apply for funds through Title 1, PTA, school districts or local businesses.
5. For a special event lasting Up to an hour in the evening within the community or out of town, the fee is $300. For out-of-town events, traveling expenses, room and board must also be provided.
7. Both parties sign an agreement immediately.
8. Please no audio or video recording. Pictures are permitted.
PUBLIC LIBRARY VISITS
The author can do library visits, from one session to an entire day. Out-of-town libraries are responsible for travel expenses, room and board. The fee is $300 per hour. Please no audio or video recording. Pictures are permitted.
The author is available to do SKYPE presentations to classrooms or other groups. The students have an opportunity to ask the author questions about her writing or the particular book they may be reading. My normal fee for a SKYPE presentation that lasts one class period is $250. To book a SKYPE virtual visit for your classroom or literary group contact me at email@example.com.
BEFORE THE AUTHOR’S SCHOOL VISIT
1. The author expects teachers or librarians to read the whole book to the students before she arrives. A school may order a few copies for each class that is participating ahead of time so that teachers will have enough time to read the book to the students.
2. The author strongly requests that the school order books for the students to purchase before her visit. The librarian should send off flyers to parents about one or two weeks before the author’s visit. (The students might lose the flyer if it is given to them too early.) The author is happy to provide the information for the flyer.
3. The librarian contacts the publisher’s marketing person or lets a local book store handle book ordering. Please contact the marketing person at Lee and Low books or book store coordinator right after signing the agreement, in case the book requested is not in stock.
4. The author will need a table on which to display artifacts from the books. She uses PowerPoint for her presentations so a laptop and projector needs to be available. She will bring the presentation on a flash drive. For a presentation about First Apple, she will need a cassette player. Please make sure all equipment is in good working order before the scheduled visit.
Ordering straight from the publisher will get schools a very good discount:
1. For ordering Tofu Quilt, contact:
Hannah Ehrlich, Marketing Associate
Lee and Low Books, Inc.
95 Madison Ave. Suite 1205
New York, NY 10016
Phone: (212) 779-4400 X 29
John Man: (212) 779-4400 X 28
2. Bungee Cord Hair is only available in India and Asia. For quantity purchases of the Singapore edition contast Scholatic Singapore, operating as Grolier International, Inc., 81 Ubi Avenue 4, #02-30 UB, One, Singapore 408830. For quantity purchases in India contact Scholastic India Pvt. Ltd., A-27, Ground Floor, Bharti Sigma Centre, Infocity -1, Sector 34, Guragon 122001 (India).
3. For the author’s series of chapter books based on her life in China: First Apple, Water Ghost, Lichee Tree and Child Bride, Chinese and English bilingual versions which were translated back into Chinese by the author, contact her publisher:
W. W. Ying, Greenfield Educational Center,
Rm. 01, 1/F, Vogue Centre
696 Castle Peak Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong, China
Tel: 011 (852) 2304-0355; Fax: 011 (852) 2304-0778
* It will take at least a couple of months for books to arrive in the States from Hong Kong by sea.
4. For Moon Festival and the English-only versions of First Apple, Water Ghost, Lichee Tree and Child Bride, please contact the author by e-mail.